Sunday, September 12, 2010

Ouch!

So, I'm in pain.  We have been riding our bikes exclusively for one week, and I hurt.  I've not hurt like this since...well, let's face it, I've never hurt like this.  It is not the pain of a stubbed toe or a broken arm.  It is the ongoing muscle pain of those muscles that you learned about in anatomy class in college, but really truly didn't believe were there.  It hurts when I walk.  It hurts when I sit.  It hurts when I stand.  Pain is my new reality.

Once upon a time, I was an athlete.  I ran cross county and track and could even brag about running a 5:25 mile.  I ran through pain, and I even liked it (because it never lasted very long.)  But since I'm coming up on my 20 year high school reunion, I can't really claim that I am an athlete anymore.  Not that I stopped cold turkey after high school.  For years, I would run on and off when ever the mood stuck me or when it was convenient.  I never went more then a few months without going for a run (except when I was pregnant, which I believe is a time when one is exempt of all expectations.)

And then I had a freak accident two years ago where my toe was crushed and it took over 6 months to heal.  After that I didn't exercise hardly at all.  I did not run, not even once.  I did not played tennis or ride a bike or swim for exercise, and though I still walked quite a bit, I got into the worse shape of my life.

So, when we started riding everywhere a week ago, I quickly realized that maybe two years was a bit long to not exercise.  About day 3 the pain come and stayed.  Pain became my closest companion, and reminded me with every step, "You idiot.  What did you think would happen if you didn't exercise for two years?"

I'm trying to remind myself that it will go away, and I'll be better for it.  That I need to work through the pain so I can be stronger.  But let's be honest, pain sucks no matter how good it is for you.

And you want to know the irony of all this?  The only time I don't feel the pain is when I'm riding my bike.  How's that for a slap in the face?

No comments:

Post a Comment