Monday, September 6, 2010

Four Bikes and a Trailer

And so the day has come that I've been anticipating and dreading.  We gave the car that we have been borrowing back to my parents-in-law,  and we are officially without a car.  

When we decided that we were going to try this very crazy idea 3 weeks ago, it seemed very exciting.  The preparation of getting our lives scaled down to "bike-able" segments seemed like a challenge.  I went shopping and stocked up on all those necessities of life like Trader Joe's Dried Apricots and 30 pounds of bread flour. I was ready.  But as the day drew closer, a fog of dread descended.  Can we really do this?

Now as we looked at our empty driveway, the reality of what we had decided to do hit me full force.  If I want to get somewhere I have to either walk or ride a bike or find someone with a car.  No more quick trips to the grocery store or to get an ice-cream cone. Gone are the days of "running to the bank."  No one in my circle of friends lives without a car.  Heck, I haven't lived without a car since I was a sophomore in college and let's face it, that was awhile ago.  In fact, I've always put a car as necessities up there with things like refrigeration and a flush toilet.  And yet this is our new reality, and I am a bit excited about it, because for the first time in a long time I'm walking in an adventure that I'm not sure how it is going to end.  

As the old adage says, "It's sink or swim."  I'm hopping in.  I hope the water's warm. 



1 comment:

  1. Yea for a new adventure! I'm sure it won't always be easy or fun...but I'm excited to hear all about it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete